Wednesday 2 May 2018

Research/planning

Part 1 : Song choice
The song i have selected for my music video is "The ocean" by Tonight Alive


part 2 : Lyrical analysis

I feel heavy, I feel weighted
And I feel hungry, I feel wasted
Oh, I can't put my finger on my feelings
Put my ear to the ceiling, where is that coming from?
Where are you coming from?

I'm just waiting for the walls of my insides to come clean
I've been praying for the day that my spirit is finally free
Some days it feels like the ocean lies inside of me
Lies inside of me

And I feel paralysed, been cut down to size
I hardly have the strength, to open up my eyes
Coz I am swollen, and this has stolen my sanity
Well it's hard to see beyond this when it's fighting against me
Yeah!

I'm just waiting for the walls of my insides to come clean
I've been praying for the day that my spirit is finally free
Some days it feels like the ocean lies inside of me
Lies inside of me

The waves crash in, the tide rolls out
I stand before my weakness now
You took my faith and cut me down
The ocean it lies, it lies inside me now!

The ocean!
The ocean!

I'm just waiting for the walls of my insides to come clean
I've been praying for the day that my spirit

I'm just waiting for the walls of my insides to come clean
I've been praying for the day that my spirit is finally free
Some days it feels like the ocean lies inside of me
Lies inside of me

My interpretation: the first time I heard this song i believed the ocean to be referencing the person and maybe they missed them or something. I always thought the "open up my eyes, cos i am swollen" was about crying and talking about swollen eyes.

Artist explanation: The main singer actually spoke about the meaning of this song. This song is actually about the singer (Jenna Mcdougall) and her eczema that affected her so bad that she couldn't perform in some situations.
"I wrote the lyrics of ‘The Ocean’ so that they were open to interpretation but it was really through these emotional and physical trials and ultimately detoxing my body that the song was inspired."

Part 3:
The Ocean:
Clothing / costumes: the clothing in this music video is casual due to most shots being from shows and the band messing around backstage or during the festivals
Makeup:the makeup for this video is natural due to the performance and festivals
Locations: the different locations presented are the festivals they visit as well as perormances/ dressing rooms and shops from the looks of it.
Concepts / narratives: there is no narrative for this specific video due to it being a performance 

The Edge:

Clothing / costumes: the clothing for the band in this music video is dark colors looking quite cool in style. since this is related to the amazing spider man 2 some of the band members outfits remind me of electro the main villain.
Makeup:the makeup is quite natural on the band.
Locations: the location for this video is quite dark and dreary compared to the normal locations that they shoot. This location is selected due to the synergy they are going for because of course spiderman swings between buildings so their location being in between 2 buildings is fitting.
Concepts / narratives: the concept for this video is the synergistic marketing with amazing spiderman 2 and it links to the villain in some sections with electric effects surrounding the band. also combining footage from the film that seems to affect the band in their video.

Crack my heart:

Clothing / costumes: the clothing is of a dark nature with lots of black clothing which points to the album cover and its coloring.
Makeup: the makeup specifically on the main singer is black and yellow, this could possibly link to their new album cover because this song was made to tease the new album.
Locations: the location for this video is a small enclosed space covered in yellow neon lighting again referencing their new albums colors 
Concepts / narratives: there is no narrative for this specific video due to it being a performance 

Come Home:

Clothing / costumes: The clothing presented in this music video is a very casual look which makes the music video much more realistic to the viewer.
Makeup: the makeup is presented in a casual style just like the clothing.
Locations: the locations presented in the music video are the house as well as the moving van.
Concepts / narratives: the narrative presented in this video is loose but there still is one, The main singer seemingly gets dumped by her boyfriend and whilst the moving team are taking all of his possessions out they are performing and looking through the possessions.




No comments:

Post a Comment